Train EOL

Elõd Illés elod.illes at est.tech
Fri May 12 15:30:57 UTC 2023

Thanks Jay & Jeremy for all the answers you gave to Scott. Let me also emphasize (with my stable maintainer hat on 🙂) that Train is *not* End of Life yet [1], but some of the projects decided to remove some of their stable/train (and even newer) branches due to lack of maintainers and broken gates and to free up resources.

(Note that, for example core projects have EOL'd their stable/rocky branches for quite a while now, and Rocky is about to EOL as a whole. Stein is in the very same situation (broken gates, long gone core components, etc.) and it is inevitable that Train will reach that point, too.)

Nevertheless, we also discussed recently that perhaps it would be beneficial to keep old branches open instead of deleting them, but for different reasons teams were not favor of doing that. Jay had a very good point in his previous mail as an example why it is better to delete old branches.

[1] https://releases.openstack.org/

Thanks,
Előd Illés