[all][requirements] Automated management of setup.py

Stephen Finucane stephenfin at redhat.com
Tue Jun 13 18:09:57 UTC 2023

On Mon, 2023-06-12 at 16:17 +0000, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> On 2023-06-12 16:55:30 +0200 (+0200), Pierre Riteau wrote:
> > We recently had a patch [1] submitted to cloudkitty-dashboard that
> > dropped support for Python 2.7 bits in setup.py (which is fine), but
> > at the same time removed the following line:
> >
> > # THIS FILE IS MANAGED BY THE GLOBAL REQUIREMENTS REPO - DO NOT EDIT
> >
> > I pointed it out to the author but they never updated their patch.
> >
> > This comment is managed by the update.py script in requirements [2].
> > Should there be an effort to update setup.py across all repositories
> > using this script?
> [...]
>
> It's safe to remove those comments now when you find them. We
> stopped syncing requirements lists during the Rocky cycle:
>
> https://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2018-March/128352.html

Somewhat related: you can also remove this note from your requirements.txt files
too:

# The order of packages is significant, because pip processes them in the order
# of appearance. Changing the order has an impact on the overall integration
# process, which may cause wedges in the gate later.

This doesn't apply since pip 20.3, which introduced the new dependency resolver.

Cheers,
Stephen