New repo for os-net-config?

smooney at redhat.com smooney at redhat.com
Thu Jun 8 10:53:14 UTC 2023

On Wed, 2023-06-07 at 15:44 -0700, Dan Sneddon wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 7, 2023 at 12:49 PM Jeremy Stanley <fungi at yuggoth.org> wrote:
>
> > On 2023-06-07 12:07:59 -0700 (-0700), Dan Sneddon wrote:
> > > On Wed, Jun 7, 2023 at 9:00 AM Clark Boylan <cboylan at sapwetik.org>
> > wrote:
> > [...]
> > >
> > > Currently os-net-config is a part of the TripleO project. Since
> > > TripleO is retiring and being replaced by something hosted on
> > > GitHub, we are no longer maintaining the Master/Zed branches.
> > [...]
> >
> > Maybe you misunderstood. To restate: Is there any reason the people
> > who want to use and maintain the openstack/os-net-config master and
> > stable/zed (or other) branches can't just adopt the project? It's
> > well within the TC's power to grant control of that repository to
> > another project team who isn't TripleO.
> >
> > Which use cases specifically (outside of Red Hat's lingering
> > interest in the stable/wallaby branches of TripleO repositories) are
> > you referring to?
> > --
> > Jeremy Stanley
>

> The people who want to continue to use os-net-config are developing the
> replacement for TripleO, but they have moved to GutHub. That’s an option
> for os-net-config, but not my first preference.
> I have over the years heard of companies using os-net-config for various
> use cases. It’s possible that posting to openstack-discuss won’t reach any
> of those users, but it doesn’t hurt to ask here.
i will need to reread the thread but i thought that there was reference to baremetal
use cases i had assumed that meant ironic?

just because we are using GitHub for the replacement for tripleo is not a reason to move
things to github by default. movign to github for the code review as im sure you are aware
is a much worse code review interface. we would be loosing the release tooling and ablity to
publish to pypi. the ci would need to be ported amoung other things.

There is also an open question of if/how much of os-net-config will continue to be used for the
operator based installer. alternatives are being considered although we have known gaps.
no desicssion has been made on if we will continue with os-net-config or replace it with nmstate
or a hybird of the two.

a quick search https://codesearch.opendev.org/?q=os-net-config&i=nope&literal=nope&files=&excludeFiles=&repos=
seams to indicate that os-net-config is used by:
- openstack-virtual-baremetal
- networking-bigswitch
- possibly starlingx

so i would suggest moving it to ironic governance and keeping the repo as is to suppot the virtual baremetal usecase.