New repo for os-net-config?

Dan Sneddon dsneddon at redhat.com
Wed Jun 7 22:44:16 UTC 2023

On Wed, Jun 7, 2023 at 12:49 PM Jeremy Stanley <fungi at yuggoth.org> wrote:

> On 2023-06-07 12:07:59 -0700 (-0700), Dan Sneddon wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 7, 2023 at 9:00 AM Clark Boylan <cboylan at sapwetik.org>
> wrote:
> [...]
> > > Is there some reason the existing repository won't work?
> >
> > Currently os-net-config is a part of the TripleO project. Since
> > TripleO is retiring and being replaced by something hosted on
> > GitHub, we are no longer maintaining the Master/Zed branches.
> [...]
>
> Maybe you misunderstood. To restate: Is there any reason the people
> who want to use and maintain the openstack/os-net-config master and
> stable/zed (or other) branches can't just adopt the project? It's
> well within the TC's power to grant control of that repository to
> another project team who isn't TripleO.
>
> Which use cases specifically (outside of Red Hat's lingering
> interest in the stable/wallaby branches of TripleO repositories) are
> you referring to?
> --
> Jeremy Stanley

The people who want to continue to use os-net-config are developing the
replacement for TripleO, but they have moved to GutHub. That’s an option
for os-net-config, but not my first preference.
I have over the years heard of companies using os-net-config for various
use cases. It’s possible that posting to openstack-discuss won’t reach any
of those users, but it doesn’t hurt to ask here.

-Dan

--
Dan Sneddon         |  Senior Principal Software Engineer
dsneddon at redhat.com |  redhat.com/cloud