[cinder][all][tc][ops][stable] EOL EM branches

Jay Faulkner jay at gr-oss.io
Wed Jun 7 17:38:03 UTC 2023

On Wed, Jun 7, 2023 at 10:23 AM Ghanshyam Mann <gmann at ghanshyammann.com>
wrote:

>  ---- On Tue, 06 Jun 2023 12:48:43 -0700  Jeremy Stanley  wrote ---
>  > On 2023-06-06 12:17:23 -0700 (-0700), Ghanshyam Mann wrote:
>  > [...]
>  > > This is true but I think this is the point where things are
>  > > becoming difficult. Even we do not need to but we as community
>  > > developers keep fixing the EM gate, at least I can tell from my QA
>  > > experience for this. We should stop at some line but in reality,
>  > > we end up doing it.
>  > [...]
>  >
>  > Maybe my verbosity made it unclear, so just in case, what I was
>  > trying to say is that I consider Extended Maintenance to be a failed
>  > experiment and agree we should be talking about either reverting to
>  > the prior process from before EM was a thing or finding an
>  > alternative process that doesn't have so many of the obvious
>  > shortcomings of EM.
>  >
>  > People said if we just stopped EOL'ing branches so soon they would
>  > show up and help make use of those branches. They didn't, and so the
>  > expected benefits never materialized.
>
> I agree. If I see the main overhead in EM maintenance is keeping testing
> green.
> it is not easy to keep 11 branches (including Em, supported stable and
> master)
> testing up to date. My point is if we remove all the integration testing
> (can keep pep8
> and unit tests) at the time the branch move to EM will solve the problem
> that the upstream
> community faces to maintain EM branches.

This, IMO, is akin to retiring the branches. How could I, as a developer,
patch an older version of a branch against a vulnerability of the style of
the recent Cinder one, where the impact is felt cross-project, and you
clearly need a working dev environment (such as devstack).

If, as you propose, we stopped doing any integration testing on branches
older than 18 months, we would be de-facto retiring the integration testing
infrastructure, which shares a huge amount of DNA with our dev tooling
infrastructure.

I don't know what the answer is; but this as a middle ground seems like the
worst of all worlds: the branches still exist, and we will not have the
tools to (manually, not just CI) test meaningful changes on them.

Just a thought!

-
Jay Faulkner
Ironic PTL