[cinder][all][tc][ops][stable] EOL EM branches

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Wed Jun 7 17:35:19 UTC 2023

On 2023-06-07 10:16:05 -0700 (-0700), Ghanshyam Mann wrote:
[...]
> I agree. If I see the main overhead in EM maintenance is keeping
> testing green. it is not easy to keep 11 branches (including Em,
> supported stable and master) testing up to date. My point is if we
> remove all the integration testing (can keep pep8 and unit tests)
> at the time the branch move to EM will solve the problem that the
> upstream community faces to maintain EM branches.

The main counterargument I've heard repeated against this approach
is that the project teams feel responsible for the quality of
changes merging to those branches, and don't believe that lightly
tested or nearly untested backports (from an integration
perspective) adequately represent their quality standards. They'd
rather close out the branches completely than have to explain that
they contain basically untested backports (communication that they
further fear will fall on deaf ears, leaving users angry or hurt
when they discover it for themselves the hard way).
--
Jeremy Stanley