[Nova] How to (live-) migrate instances in a server-group with affinity to another host?

Christian Rohmann christian.rohmann at inovex.de
Fri Jun 2 06:19:46 UTC 2023

On 01/06/2023 22:26, smooney at redhat.com wrote:
>> Am I missing something here? Or am I just holding this wrong?
> no it not supported.
> its one of the limiations of using server grousp and allowing the affintiy policy.
> the only way to migrat ethe instance is to disabel the late affintiy check and then force the migration
> using an older microversion to bypass the filter.

Thanks for your clear and rapid response, even though it's sad.

I wonder if people are not using live-migration as much as we do to
allow for rolling maintenance (packages, kernel updates, HW
replacements, ...)
on their compute servers without interrupting user workload (much).

Since the functionality to "bypass" the filters is there, even in an old
microvesion ... why not (allow to) skip filters when a distinct host is
chosen? That's something that can only be used by admins anyways.
And it would create  a way to migrate those instances away and be able
to completely free a host.

Regards

Christian