[qa][tc] uwsgi is now in maintenance mode. how does this affect us ?

Sean Mooney smooney at redhat.com
Mon Feb 27 20:09:32 UTC 2023

On Mon, 2023-02-27 at 20:57 +0100, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> On 2/27/23 18:24, Sean Mooney wrote:
> > On Mon, 2023-02-27 at 07:23 -0800, Jay Faulkner wrote:
> > > I've worked at a handful of places running OpenStack at large scale in
> > > production. In many of those cases, we used the built-in service runner
> > > (eventlet WSGI in at least some cases) and put an HTTP{s} proxy in front.
> > >
> > > I agree we should probably consider more commonly used-in-production
> > > options; but we shouldn't throw out the existing eventlet wsgi server
> > > support without explicit technical reasons. Why do you think it's not a
> > > serious option?
> > kolla used to default to useing the eventlet services untill a few release ago (victoria).
> > so its a preferctly reasonable thing to do.
>
> I don't agree. Using Eventlet as a web server has a huge impact on
> performace (uwsgi can serve twice the amount of requests). A web server
> in Python without using the multi-interpreter lib is, in general, a very
> bad idea.
if you use mod_wsgi the number of request is limited by the number of processes.

so the eventlet websever willl actully be more effiect then that in terms of requests per core.

you are correc tthat uwsgi is faster but many production deploymetn use mod_wsgi which allows each
api process to only server 1 request at a time.

so huge impact on performance need a base of comparison.
for the recored i prefer uwsgi over most other options but the eventlet websever should not be discounted entirely.