[TripleO] Last maintained release of TripleO is Wallaby

Ghanshyam Mann gmann at ghanshyammann.com
Wed Feb 8 18:07:23 UTC 2023

 ---- On Wed, 08 Feb 2023 09:38:07 -0800  James Slagle  wrote ---
 > The team of TripleO developers, reviewers, and community have no plans to do another release of TripleO, or to continue maintaining the Zed release. This means the last maintained release of TripleO is Wallaby. The plan is to continue to maintain the train and wallaby branches of TripleO repositories under the openstack namespace. We plan to continue to run existing CI on those branches, although we anticipate reducing to a minimal set of jobs in the future. Going forward, the TripleO team expects to continue involvement in other OpenStack projects, and focus on different approaches to OpenStack deployment.
 >
 > The team is not aware of enough other community interest to continue to maintain the zed, master, and future branches of TripleO. Eventually, we will empty commit these branches with a pointer to Wallaby being the last release. If other interests do exist to maintain TripleO going forward, then those plans can adjust.
 >
 > TripleO does not plan on nominating a PTL in the current Bobcat election cycle. If a PTL-like contact is needed for train and wallaby maintenance, then someone will be nominated. I am also not sure how to reflect this project structure change within openstack/governance, and am looking for guidance on how to do so. This type of change did not seem to exactly fit within the concepts of inactive or retired projects. I can work on the patches for governance with some direction, if anyone can provide it. Thanks, and please let us know any questions or feedback about this plan.

Thanks for the updates. From the governance side,

1. This is the case of deprecating the project where stable releases are maintained until the last maintained stable release is EOL.
Please follow the deprecation steps mentioned in this[1] doc.

2. PTL requirement:
Until the project is not retired, we should have some point of contact. It can be to continue someone as PTL or adopt the DPL
model[2] if you want to distribute the roles among more members (nit sure how much work it will be in terms of release,
security, or testing side)

[1] https://docs.openstack.org/project-team-guide/repository.html#deprecating-a-repository
[2] https://governance.openstack.org/tc/resolutions/20200803-distributed-project-leadership.html

-gmann