[Glance] Bobcat PTG summary

Abhishek Kekane akekane at redhat.com
Wed Apr 5 06:44:31 UTC 2023

Hi Team,

We had our seventh virtual PTG between 27th March to 31st March 2023.
Thanks to everyone who joined the virtual PTG sessions. Using bluejeans app
we had lots of discussion around different topics for glance, glance +
cinder, fips and Secure RBAC. You can find the topics discussed in etherpad
[1] with Notes from the session and which also includes the recordings of
each discussion.

Here I am going to highlight a few important topics which we are going to
target this cycle.

# Glance Image Direct URL access - OSSN-0090
This is the most important and high priority work item for us in this
cycle. We are going to move the spec to the current cycle and implement
glance, client and osc side work this cycle. We are also going to implement
tempest side work for the same. Once it is completed, Rajat (current cinder
PTL) is  going to write consumer side spec for nova and cinder.

https://bluejeans.com/s/dKF1IG2h8PC chapter 2 (from 22 minutes onward)

# Bridge gap between Glance client and OSC
Last cycle we have prepared the list of missing commands [2] and started
submitting patches to implement the same. Our biggest hurdle at the moment
is lack of reviews from the osc team (which has only one/two cores). Glance
PTL is going to communicate with TC/existing core(s) of OSC whether they
can add any glance core to the team so that we can prioritize our work and
get reviews immediately. This cycle we are planning to complete this work.

Recording: https://bluejeans.com/s/XZoRGceEhW3/ - Chapter 4

# Default glance to configure multistore
Efforts has been started from last cycle but this work needs to be divided
in small parts such as removing unnecessary tests, migrating existing tests
to support multistore and so on. This cycle we are going to ensure that
existing tests are supporting multistore configs.

Recording: https://bluejeans.com/s/XZoRGceEhW3/ - Chapter 3

# Secure RBAC
So far we are good with the goals decided by the community. This cycle PTL
is going to discuss with the QE/TC team regarding deprecation of policies
(migrating policies to use manager role) and decide further action.

Recording: https://bluejeans.com/s/RHgqQi28_Hk/ - chapter 1

# Fips Overview
ade_lee is going to submit some patches for us and we are going to help him
in debugging failures if there are any.

Recording: https://bluejeans.com/s/RHgqQi28_Hk/ - chapter 5

# Native Image encryption
Finally the Barbican work is complete and we can move ahead with glance
side work in this cycle. We need to move glance side spec to Bobcat and
check whether there will be any changes in the implementation. Luzi is
going to work on glance changes and the team is going to assist her in
reviews and testing.

Recording: https://bluejeans.com/s/RHgqQi28_Hk/ - chapter 3

# RBD deferred deletion
Eric from cinder team is working on PoC/code for glance-store side changes
for the same. Once we have PoC ready, the glance team will assist him to
create a detailed spec and start working on tests for the same.

https://bluejeans.com/s/dKF1IG2h8PC - chapter 2

Apart from above topics you can find other miscellaneous topics discussed
in PTG etherpad [1] along with milestone wise priorities at the end.
If you have any questions/suggestions then please join us in our weekly
meeting (each Thursday #openstack-meeting irc channel at 1400 UTC).

[1] https://etherpad.opendev.org/p/glance-bobcat-ptg
[2]
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tlipscCDeWmYGz3Hfp74czPW7BBJb4ST84qXOeROkaE/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks and Regards,