[designate] zone sharing between projects and how to create classless PTR

Tomáš Bredár tomas.bredar at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 22:48:34 UTC 2022

Hi Folks,

I have a few questions:
1. Is there a possibility to share DNS zones between tenants? I've found
this [1] patchset, but it's not merged yet.
2. Is there a way to create a classless reverse zone? According to [2], it
should work. Creating a zone is ok:
openstack zone create --email tomas.bredar at gmail.com \
    --ttl 3600 --description "in-addr.arpa. zone for reverse lookups for
e-devel subnet 10.254.226.0/26" \
    0-26.226.254.10.in-addr.arpa.

But when I try to add a recordset, I get an error:
openstack recordset create --record testvm.bredytest.abc.com. --type PTR
  --ttl 600 0-26.226.254.10.in-addr.arpa. 1.226.254.10.in-addr.arpa.
RecordSet is not contained within it's parent zone

I'm using OpenStack Wallaby
If this won't work, I'm considering using the neutron integration with
external DNS.

Thanks for your help

Tomas

[1] https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/designate/+/726334