[telemetry][cloudkitty][ceilometer] Billing windows instances

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Mon Oct 24 14:17:29 UTC 2022

On 10/21/22 17:40, Rafael Weingärtner wrote:
> Hello Zigo!,
> You might want to take a look at the new implementations we made in
> ceilometer, and CloudKitty.
> - https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/cloudkitty/+/861806
> <https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/cloudkitty/+/861806>
> - https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/ceilometer/+/856178
> <https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/ceilometer/+/856178>
> - https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/ceilometer/+/852021
> <https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/ceilometer/+/852021>
> - https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/ceilometer/+/850253
> <https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/ceilometer/+/850253>
> - https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/ceilometer/+/855953
> <https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/ceilometer/+/855953>
>
> Not directly relate to this use case, but also might interest you:
> - https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/cloudkitty/+/861786
> <https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/cloudkitty/+/861786>
> - https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/cloudkitty/+/861807
> <https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/cloudkitty/+/861807>
> - https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/cloudkitty/+/861908
> <https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/cloudkitty/+/861908>
> - https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/ceilometer/+/856972
> <https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/ceilometer/+/856972>
> - https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/ceilometer/+/861109
> <https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/ceilometer/+/861109>
> - https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/ceilometer/+/856304
> <https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/ceilometer/+/856304>
> - https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/ceilometer/+/856305
> <https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/ceilometer/+/856305>
>

> In short, we can now create Ceilometer compute dynamic pollsters, which
> can execute scripts in the host, and check the actual operating system
> installed in the VM. Then, this data can be pushed back to the storage
> backend via Ceilometer as an attribute, which is then processed in
> CloudKitty. Furthermore, we extended cloudkitty to generate different
> ratings for the same metric. Therefore, by doing this, we do not need
> multiple metrics to have different CloudKitty ratings appearing for
> users. This allows us, for instance, to have one rating for the VM usage
> itself, and others for each license, and so on.

Hi Raphael!

Thanks a lot for all of the above (both the patches merged upstream
themselves, and taking the time to give me reference to them).

We've backported this to our production version (ie: Victoria) without
too much pain (it took me like 4 hours to do so, cherry-picking missing
patches on top of which these were applied). We then wrote a quick
command to produce a JSON containing the image type (as reported by the
os_type property of the image) that we put in cache in the compute, and
then dump this image type, and the associated project ID. This looks
promising: we only need to write the dynamic pollster now! :)

So really, thanks a lot. I'll let you know when we have a full solution
(that I will also publish as free software).

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)