[telemetry][cloudkitty][ceilometer] Billing windows instances

Rafael Weingärtner rafaelweingartner at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 15:40:28 UTC 2022

Hello Zigo!,
You might want to take a look at the new implementations we made in
ceilometer, and CloudKitty.
- https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/cloudkitty/+/861806
- https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/ceilometer/+/856178
- https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/ceilometer/+/852021
- https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/ceilometer/+/850253
- https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/ceilometer/+/855953

Not directly relate to this use case, but also might interest you:
- https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/cloudkitty/+/861786
- https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/cloudkitty/+/861807
- https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/cloudkitty/+/861908
- https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/ceilometer/+/856972
- https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/ceilometer/+/861109
- https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/ceilometer/+/856304
- https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/ceilometer/+/856305

In short, we can now create Ceilometer compute dynamic pollsters, which can
execute scripts in the host, and check the actual operating system
installed in the VM. Then, this data can be pushed back to the storage
backend via Ceilometer as an attribute, which is then processed in
CloudKitty. Furthermore, we extended cloudkitty to generate different
ratings for the same metric. Therefore, by doing this, we do not need
multiple metrics to have different CloudKitty ratings appearing for users.
This allows us, for instance, to have one rating for the VM usage itself,
and others for each license, and so on.

--
Rafael Weingärtner