[release][ironic] Release desired for Ironic bugfix/N branches

Thierry Carrez thierry at openinfra.dev
Wed Oct 5 13:58:59 UTC 2022

Clark Boylan wrote:
> [...]
> If the release team ends up doing the work, it would probably be a good idea to very explicitly list the branch, commit sha1, and version number for each of the needed releases. This way the release team doesn't have to guess if they are getting it correct when they make and push those tags.

Yes please.

> Separately, it seems like some of the intention here is to ensure that users of bugfix branches don't end up with stale installations. Updating the release tooling to handle releases off of these branches or delegating access to the Ironic team seem like an important piece of making that happen. Otherwise the overhead for doing this will be large enough that it is unlikely to happen often enough. Unfortunately, I don't know what is currently missing in the tooling to make that possible.

I'd say it's an unknown and the current release team members may not
have bandwidth to explore what releasing on bugfix branches using a
patch to openstack/releases could look like. Avoiding collisions between
"normal" stable branch point updates and those bugfix branch point
releases sounds tricky at best.

We should try one manually and see how it goes first :)

--
Thierry Carrez