[release][ironic] Release desired for Ironic bugfix/N branches

Sean Mooney smooney at redhat.com
Tue Oct 4 00:48:16 UTC 2022

On Mon, 2022-10-03 at 13:50 -0700, Clark Boylan wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 3, 2022, at 1:06 PM, Jay Faulkner wrote:
> > Hey all,
> >
> > I was attempting to perform a release of all maintained Ironic
> > branches. The long term support branches cut as part of the integrated
> > OpenStack release have been requested via gerrit, as documented (
> > https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/releases/+/860125 ).
> >
> > We have intermediate bugfix releases as well, and I was hoping to get
> > patch releases cut from these as well. As far as I can tell, there is
> > no automation for performing these releases, or an official place to
> > request them. If this is wrong; please correct me and I'm happy to go
> > through the proper process.
> >
> > We know that the majority of consumers pull these from git directly;
> > but checking pypi release notes, we had over 6000 downloads of the
> > 21.0.0 and 20.2.0 releases during the 2/4 months of the Zed cycle they
> > had respectively been released, so I do think there's value in
> > releasing these even if it might be a small amount of manual effort.
> >
> > Below is a list of the Ironic projects, and associated bugfix/ branches
> > I'd like to have a patch (bugfix) release cut for:
> >
> > ironic
> > - bugfix/21.0
> > - bugfix/20.2
> > - bugfix/19.0
> > - bugfix/18.1
> >
> > ironic-inspector
> > - bugfix/11.0
> > - bugfix/10.12
> > - bugfix/10.9
> > - bugfix/10.7
> >
> > ironic-python-agent
> > - bugfix/9.0
> > - bugfix/8.6
> > - bugfix/8.3
> > - bugfix/8.1
>
> As mentioned in the openstack-releases IRC channel it seems that the Ironic project doesn't have ACLs to push their own manual tags [0]. It was also mentioned that the release team thought releases off of the bugfix branches would need manual releases. I think the lack of ACLs to do this by the Ironic project means that the release team needs to do it, or we need to modify the ACLs to allow the Ironic team to do the work.
>
> If the release team ends up doing the work, it would probably be a good idea to very explicitly list the branch, commit sha1, and version number for each of the needed releases. This way the release team doesn't have to guess if they are getting it correct when they make and push those tags.
>
> Separately, it seems like some of the intention here is to ensure that users of bugfix branches don't end up with stale installations. Updating the release tooling to handle releases off of these branches or delegating access to the Ironic team seem like an important piece of making that happen. Otherwise the overhead for doing this will be large enough that it is unlikely to happen often enough. Unfortunately, I don't know what is currently missing in the tooling to make that possible.

> [...]

its litrally been about 7 or 8 years since i did this but i had configred networkign-ovs-dpdk so that we could push sgined tags

teh networking-ovs-dpdk-release group has the required acls to be able to create branches and tags.

[access "refs/heads/*"]
create = group networking-ovs-dpdk-release allows creating branches and

enable branch creation and

[access "refs/tags/*"]
createSignedTag = group networking-ovs-dpdk-release

enables pushing signed tags which used to get mirrored to github as well.

this wont auto push the content to pypi i sued to also build the package locally an push it manually

but that would enabel ironich to actully tag and push the content if they are added to the pypi repo as well.

ideally however i think it woudl be better long term to just do this via the releases repo.
im not entirly sure what prevent you just adding a new bugfix branch and sha there
https://github.com/openstack/releases/blob/master/deliverables/zed/ironic.yaml#L9-L28

you can have one patch taht update all the bug fix branches acroos multipel release and then the release team just need to review one path.

presumable this wont happen more frequently then say 1 a quater or once a month so that is proably doable vai the normal release process.