[ansible-openstack-modules] 2023.1 Antelope PTG summary

Rafael Castillo rcastill at redhat.com
Thu Nov 10 13:26:10 UTC 2022

We held our ansible-collections-openstack PTG a few weeks ago. Thanks
to everyone who participated! Here's a belated summary of the
discussions that took place.

Etherpad: https://etherpad.opendev.org/p/oct2022-ptg-os-ansible-modules

The plan for the Antelope cycle is to continue our current course of
porting all remaining modules to support the new SDK. Our tentative
release date for 2.0.0 is January 1st 2023.

While porting modules will be the priority first and foremost, we
discussed some proposals for enhancement during our session. These
will remain on the backburner and will be addressed on a best effort
basis.

# Proposals for improvement

## Consistent module naming
In order to make the modules more self-describing, avoid prefixes like
federation_idp and keep names obvious.

Change module names to be consistent with openstack-client.

Change return values to match module names where possible.

## Documentation updates
Highlight in docs that module results can differ depending on the
cloud they use. Our module docs are currently based on devstack.

Keep different documentation pages on galaxy between stable and
master, as the two differ quite a bit.

Update README and docs folder with more current information.

## Migrate current tests to use ansible-test
The ansible-test integration test runner has some nice features.
There's examples of the OTC modules using this we can take a look at.

## Write sdk logs to module results instead of writing to file
Can be more convenient to have logs available right in ansible output.
Counter-point is that these logs grow to be huge sometimes.

## Drop pbr based installation?
We should focus on supporting ansible-galaxy as the preferred method
of installing ansible collections.

Again, thanks for participating in the collections process. Have a good weekend.