[Kolla-ansible][Yoga] How to update an Openstack deployment with new containers?

Sean Mooney smooney at redhat.com
Mon Nov 7 08:23:24 UTC 2022

On Fri, 2022-11-04 at 22:34 +0100, wodel youchi wrote:
> Hi,
> I followed this link :
> https://docs.openstack.org/kolla-ansible/yoga/user/operating-kolla.html
>
> It says that : This procedure is for upgrading from series to series, not
> for doing updates within a series. Inside a series, *it is usually
> sufficient to just update the kolla-ansible package, rebuild (if needed)
> and pull the images, and run kolla-ansible deploy again. Please follow
> release notes to check if there are any issues to be aware of.*
>

> In my deployment I am using a local registry, so I pulled the new images,
> tagged them then pushed them into my registry.
> I can see that the container's images are newer than the ones I had.
>
> I then updated my kolla-ansible package using :
> $ source yogavenv
> (yogavenv) $ pip install --upgrade git+
> https://opendev.org/openstack/kolla-ansible@stable/yoga
>
> Finally I launched the deploy, but it seems that nothing has changed.
>
> The containers have not been restarted. Any ideas?
if you tagged them with the same tag then you will need to manually run an image pull instead.
you are generally better off using a new tag so that you can revert if needed but the basic minor update flow
is really just

kolla-ansible pull -i <path to inventory>
kolla-ansoble deploy ...

if you use diffent tag then after you push to the local registry with the new tag update your global.yaml with the new tag
then pull and deploy

updating the kolla-ansible package is generaly only needed if doing a major upgrade between openstack release but it can be
useful if tehre have been bugfixes to kolla itself.