[all][tc] Lets talk about Flake8 E501

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Sat May 28 12:22:08 UTC 2022

On 2022-05-27 21:24:32 -0500 (-0500), Miro Tomaska wrote:
> This is probably going to be a hot topic but I was wondering if
> the community ever considered raising the default 79 characters
> line limit.
[...]

This is a choice individual projects can make; the TC hasn't
demanded all projects follow a specific coding style.

That said, I personally do all my coding and code review in
80-column text terminals, so any lines longer that that end up
wrapping and making indentation harder to follow. There have been
numerous studies to suggest that shorter lines are easier for people
to read and comprehend, whether it's prose or source code, and the
ideal lengths actually end up being around 50-75 characters. There's
a reason wide-format print media almost always breaks text into
multiple columns: The eyes tend to get lost as you scan across
longer lines of content. (As an aside, you'll probably notice I've
set my MUA to wrap all lines at 68 characters.)

Just my opinion, but I do really appreciate when projects keep
source code files wrapped at 79 columns.
--
Jeremy Stanley