Ussuri: Magnum failed to get the size of cluster

Eugen Block eblock at nde.ag
Thu Mar 10 08:18:32 UTC 2022

Hi *,

sorry for the repost, I forgot to edit the subject line.

I'm trying to get magnum to work in an Ussuri environment. There are
some issues I'm facing and would like to ask you for some pointers
what I might be doing wrong. The control nodes would have access to
the internet through a proxy, I would like to avoid that but I don't
know yet what my local registry needs to look like. So to get it
working I'll go with the http_proxy. The first attempts failed due to
various reasons, now I'm stuck at the invalid discovery_url. After
some search I found that I need to create a new discovery_url like this:

controller02:~ # curl --silent -H "Accept: text/plain"
https://discovery.etcd.io/new?size=1

Using that new URL I try to create a cluster like this:

controller02:~ # openstack coe cluster create kubernetes-cluster-8
--cluster-template 9c7cfeff-3807-4b06-a4e6-a76f2ae0f612 --master-count
1 --node-count 1 --keypair eblock --discovery-url
https://discovery.etcd.io/<UUID>

The template contains the http and https proxy. The resulting error is this:

---snip---
HTTPSConnectionPool(host='discovery.etcd.io', port=443): Max retries
exceeded with url: /<UUID>/_config/size (Caused by
NewConnectionError('<urllib3.connection.VerifiedHTTPSConnection object
at 0x7fd5e61dcfd0>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno 110]
ETIMEDOUT',)): requests.exceptions.ConnectionError:
HTTPSConnectionPool(host='discovery.etcd.io', port=443): Max retries
exceeded with url: /<UUID>/_config/size (Caused by
NewConnectionError('<urllib3.connection.VerifiedHTTPSConnection object
at 0x7fd5e61dcfd0>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno 110]
ETIMEDOUT',))
[...]
requests.exceptions.ConnectionError:
HTTPSConnectionPool(host='discovery.etcd.io', port=443): Max retries
exceeded with url: /<UUID>/_config/size (Caused by
NewConnectionError('<urllib3.connection.VerifiedHTTPSConnection object
at 0x7fd5e61dcfd0>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno 110]
ETIMEDOUT',))
[...]
magnum.common.exception.GetClusterSizeFailed: Failed to get the size
of cluster from 'https://discovery.etcd.io/<UUID>'.
---snip---

The stack trace is a little longer, of course, but this is the
relevant part. Can anyone point me in the right direction? What am I
missing? I also tried quay.io since discovery.etcd.io seems to be not
maintained anymore, but there I can't even generate a new URL.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Eugen