Few Open Questions: Openstack vs Proprietary cloud stacks

Lazuardi Nasution mrxlazuardin at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 08:23:51 UTC 2022

Hi Krish,

Please find inline comment based my experience on banking implementation.

Best regards.

> Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2022 12:29:01 +0530
> From: KK CHN <kkchn.in at gmail.com>
> To: openstack-discuss at lists.openstack.org
> Subject: Few Open Questions: Openstack vs Proprietary cloud stacks
>
> List,
>
> Very recently  I came across a discussion with a banking corporation who
> are  heavy users of VMware in all their Data Centre operations ..
>
> They asked me a  lot of questions in comparison with openstack vs other
> proprietary vendors (such as  VMware.   ).
>

> As I am promoting OpenStack  I need to clarify these questions raised by
> the organization.
>
> I request your inputs for these queries .
>
> 1. Does OpenStack  support Hyper Converged Infrastructure ?
> Or any HCI vendors already  with OpenStack solutions? Please share the
> URL/link of case studies of OpenStack HCI.
> Any documentation/Reference  to install openstack as HCI solution  with
> supported H/W OEM details . I can try out ...

Yes, I have experienced with HCI by using OpenStack and Ceph.

> 2. Is there any performance benchmark for openstack to compare with other
> such cloud stacks  ( URL/reference links kindly share )

I have done some performance test by using CBTool which is the corr of SPEC
Cloud IaaS benchmark. So, so the result can be compared with published SPEC
Cloud IaaS result as long it has same benchmark parameters.

> 3. What is the market share of OpenStack all over the world ? ( If any
> statistics kindly share.)
> Any survey reports available how many large and medium organizations are
> using Openstack distributions for  private/public cloud use in production ?

Maybe you can refer to OpenStack surveys. It seem that on any forms
(including customized), OpenStack os popular for public cloud.

> 4. Does OpenStack new versions support VDI(Virtual Desktop Infrastructure)
> solutions out of the box.? pls give a reference link / url for the same.

Actually, VDI consists managed desktop VMs. I haven't use it but maybe
Guacamole can be used for VDI on OpenStack.

> 5.  What is the alternative for VROPS and VRA (including self service
> capabilities, Blueprint/Template based deployment) in OpenStack and any
> comparative study on the capabilities available.   ( Please share inputs if
> any to refer. )

OpenStack includes self service capability. Yes, it has template based
deployment like Heat and catalog based deployment like Murano.

> 6. What is the alternative of VMWARE Network Insights and VMWARE
> CodeStream and Vrealize  Loginsights  in  OpenStack ?

I use other open source products for monitoring and log analysis. Somethink
like Prometheus, Loki, etc.

> 7.  Any major capability available in VMware cloud stack for which
> alternative is not available in OpenStack out of the box ?

I have no idea about this. But it is hard to have apple to apple comparison.

> 8.  Tools to maintain multiple OpenStack Cluster, any concept of
> Supervisory cluster available

There are some cloud management products which are compatible with
OpenStack. But for me, Ansible and/or BASH scripting are good enough.

> 9. Who all are the large organizations who deployed OpenStack as their
> alternative over proprietary solutions(eg: VMware cloud and virtualization
> products ..)

I have no idea with this.

> 10. Does OpenInfra Foundation also provide direct support For OpenStack
> Deployment ?  If yes  Kindly share the link / url where to contact
> /approach for paid support ? in case the clients need paid support ?

It seem OpenInfra doesn't, but OpenInfra member do. CMIIW.

> 11. Regarding security of cloud  environments /infrastructure, what are the
> USPs of OpenStack cloud security  over other competing cloud middleware
> providers ? and the vulnerability handling model/mechanism in production ?

On OpenStack, every tenants can be fully isolated. Anyway, some security
products may have another approach to enhance the security. Floating IP
concept is good for hiding non service (externally) instance.