Openstack-Ansible vs Kolla-Ansible -Xena or later

Dave Hall kdhall at binghamton.edu
Mon Jun 6 16:50:24 UTC 2022

Hello,

My question is about OpenStack-Ansible vs. Kolla-Ansible.  While I am
sensitive to the effort that has been put into both of these projects, what
I really need right now is the most fool-proof way to deploy and manage a
small production cluster for academic instructional use.

I have been working for a couple months with OpenStack-Ansible to deploy a
small (3-node) test cluster on VirtualBox VMs in preparation for a larger
deployment on real hardware - 6 to 10 nodes.

(Details:  Debian 11 deployment, Debian 10 infra, compute, and storage
nodes)

It has been slow going, at least partially due to some issues and
limitations with VirtualBox.  However, deploying a test cluster on VMs
still seems preferable to just diving deployment on real hardware and going
through multiple scrubs/reinstalls.

Today I saw that Mark asked a question about Kolla-Ansible.  So, as a
'beginner', should I shift and look at Kolla-Ansible, or should I stay the
course and continue with Openstack-Ansible?  What are the pros and cons of
each?

Thanks.

-Dave

--