Changing Ubuntu Cloud Repo On Instance

Sean Mooney smooney at redhat.com
Thu Jul 14 12:51:30 UTC 2022

On Wed, 2022-07-13 at 14:44 +0000, Adam Pankow wrote:
> Ubuntu instance images seem to utilize "nova.clouds.archive.ubuntu.com" as their default repository. It seems that either this server does not efficiently route to an alternate mirror, or it itself is a mirror. This results in quite abysmal download speeds that I have seen. Would there be any downside to picking any other Ubuntu mirror, that is definitively more geographically close to me, but not explicitly labeled a Nova/Cloud mirror? i.e. would there be issues encountered, or features lost, by not using Ubuntu's designated Nova/Cloud repo?

not that im aware off.
i think canonical are probly using this fqdn to track what installs are cloud based and what are native i highly droubt
changing it would have a negitive effectr on your users expericne and using a geogravically colocated mirror would likely improve it.

this is not to my knolage anything that nova or openstack ever had any discussions with teh ubuntu comunity about and it is not done at
our request so i would just test it and deploy what works best for you and your users.

if you have storage capasity and want to conserve external bandwith you might even consider hosting your own caching proxy/mirror to use
as a default in the openstack cloud itself. that is quite common for ci enviornments.