Changing Ubuntu Cloud Repo On Instance

Clark Boylan cboylan at sapwetik.org
Wed Jul 13 19:41:37 UTC 2022

On Wed, Jul 13, 2022, at 7:44 AM, Adam Pankow wrote:
> Ubuntu instance images seem to utilize "nova.clouds.archive.ubuntu.com"
> as their default repository. It seems that either this server does not
> efficiently route to an alternate mirror, or it itself is a mirror.
> This results in quite abysmal download speeds that I have seen. Would
> there be any downside to picking any other Ubuntu mirror, that is
> definitively more geographically close to me, but not explicitly
> labeled a Nova/Cloud mirror? i.e. would there be issues encountered, or
> features lost, by not using Ubuntu's designated Nova/Cloud repo?

The setting of the repo location is likely to be baked into whatever image you grabbed. Running some DNS queries I suspect that *.clouds.archive.ubuntu.com is used to track requests from various cloud providers to provide insight into things like popularity of Ubuntu on different clouds.

I wouldn't expect there to be any problems using a different mirror as the packages should all be kept roughly in sync. The biggest thing to keep in mind is probably reliability and adjusting if necessary.