[tc][qa][centos stream] CentOS-stream-9 testing stability and collaboration with CentOS-stream maintainers

Ghanshyam Mann gmann at ghanshyammann.com
Fri Jul 8 19:13:49 UTC 2022

Hello Everyone,

As you know, CentOS-stream-9 is in Zed cycle testing runtime and we are facing some stability
issues to make its testing voting (detach volume, qemu issues are some known ones). Currently, it
is a non-voting job which is not good for the long term as non-voting job failures are mostly
ignored. We called CentOS stream folks to discuss how to make it stable testing or a better way
to improve the communication between both communities as well as coordinated debugging.

Alan, Brian, and Aleksandra from the CentOS stream team joined the TC call on 7 July. With the
CentOS stream model of having the latest packages version like libvirt etc it is good to test and
capture the potential issues in advance but at the same time, there will more failure than other
distros like ubuntu etc. Knowing the failure in the early stage is good but we have a few challenges
to triage such failure. OpenStack or CentOS team alone might not be able to know the root cause
of the issue at first glance, whether it is in OpenStack component or in CentOS stream. CentOS team
has less experience in debugging devstack or tempest tests. And if such failures are more frequent
(current case) then having it as a voting testing on every patch is another challenge for OpenStack
smooth development cycle.

We could not find any best solution to solve all these challenges but we all agree that we need some
coordinated debugging. We need some of the initial level of failure debugging in OpenStack and pass
the information to CentOS team for further debugging. That is one possible step forward and we will
see how it goes. Basically doing the following :

* If OpenStack members see failure in CentOS stream then do some initial level of debugging to know
which OpenStack component is failing and collect some log information.

* Report the bug with all those information at https://bugzilla.redhat.com/

* Contact CenntOS Stream team (you can address/ping Alan, Brian or Aleksandra ) via
** ML:  https://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-devel
** IRC channel on Libera chat #centos-devel and #centos-stream

Alan, Brian, Aleksandra, or any TC members feel free to add the things if I missed something.

-gmann