openstackclient: booting from image-created volume w/ delete_on_termination

Dmitriy Rabotyagov noonedeadpunk at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 11:56:58 UTC 2022

 Hey!

delete_on_termination is a flag that is provided to nova during volume
attachment basically.
So in case of attaching volume to existing server, you can provide
that flag to attachment:

openstack server add volume --enable-delete-on-termination
--os-compute-api-version 2.79 $UUID

It's more complex when we're talking about server creation though.
What openstackclient allows you to do, is to provide --block-device
flag, where you can provide extra specs to the mapping. You can check
doc on how to use it here
https://docs.openstack.org/python-openstackclient/yoga/cli/command-objects/server.html#cmdoption-openstack-server-create-block-device

For API call it would be block_device_mapping_v2 option provided with
request which supports kind of same format:
https://docs.openstack.org/api-ref/compute/?expanded=create-server-detail#create-server