A centralized list of usable vs unusable projects?

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Mon Jul 4 16:58:05 UTC 2022

On 2022-07-04 10:33:14 -0500 (-0500), Vince Mulhollon wrote:
> Can anyone point me to a status board or other format identifying
> which projects are uninstallable or unusable perhaps organized by
> release?
[...]

There is none, and attempting to create one has proven contentious
in the past since "uninstallable" and "unusable" are more subjective
than you might think at first. The TC has recently approved a new
process for handling "inactive" projects which may be an indicator
of these sorts of symptoms, though whether it's a leading or
trailing indicator is hard to know without some initial data points:

https://governance.openstack.org/tc/reference/emerging-technology-and-inactive-projects.html

> My point is, I can't find a status board type of page, or any sort
> of centralized list, it seems like it would be incredibly useful,
> so I'm making my own list of what works, and what does not work,
> for my own use, and I'd feel silly if there's already some service
> or page or dashboard implementing this effort that I couldn't
> find.
>
> I'd certainly contribute data toward such a status page, as I'm
> running tests on my test cluster anyway, may as well share the
> results.

It's certainly not a new idea, and you might be interested in this
thread from the first time we tried to do that 7 years ago, for
similar reasons:

https://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-operators/2015-June/007181.html

The effort started out enthusiastically enough, but once it started
to get into subjective criteria about project usability and
maturity, it rapidly lost steam and the people involved went on to
other things. I'm not trying to say it's a bad idea (far from it),
just that it's a lot more complicated of a topic that it might seem
on the surface, and there are definitely past experiences we can
learn from in order to hopefully not fall into the same traps.
--
Jeremy Stanley