[all][TC] Stats about rechecking patches without reason given

Ghanshyam Mann gmann at ghanshyammann.com
Fri Jul 1 16:23:05 UTC 2022

 ---- On Fri, 01 Jul 2022 01:46:23 -0500  Matthias Runge <mrunge at matthias-runge.de> wrote ---

 > >> I think the idea is to create a culture of debugging and record
 > >> keeping. Yes, I would expect after a few rechecks that maybe the root
 > >> causes would be addressed in this case, but the first step in doing
 > >> that is identifying the problem and making note of it.
 > >
 > > Right, that is the goal. Asking for a message at least sets the
 > > expectation that people are looking at the reasons for the fails. Just
 > > because they don't doesn't mean they aren't, or don't care, but I think
 > > it helps reinforce the desired behavior. If nothing else, it also helps
 > > observers realize "huh, I've seen a bunch of rechecks about $reason
 > > lately, maybe we should look at that".
 >
 > So, what happens with the script, when you add 2 comments, one: "network
 > error during package install, let's try again" and the next message
 > "recheck".

In this case, you can always mentione the "recheck network error during package install, let's try again"
or if you have added a lenthy text for failure and then want to recheck you can add a one line sumamry
during recheck.

Overall idea is not to literally count the bare recheck but to build a habbit among us that we should
look at the failure before we just do recheck.

 > In my understanding, that would count as recheck without reason given.
 > (by the script). Maybe it's worth to document how to give a better proof
 > that someone looked into the logs and tried to get to the root cause of
 > a previous CI failure?

I think Dan has written a nice document about it including how to debug the failure,

- https://docs.openstack.org/project-team-guide/testing.html#how-to-handle-test-failures

We welcome everyone to extend it to have more detail or example if any case specific to
projects and it is not covered.

-gmann