[nova] Instance Even Scheduling

Sean Mooney smooney at redhat.com
Mon Jan 17 17:06:40 UTC 2022

On Mon, 2022-01-17 at 16:35 +0000, Tony Liu wrote:
> https://docs.openstack.org/nova/latest/admin/scheduling.html
>
> Filter gives you a group of valid hosts, assuming they are equally weighted,
> you may try with these two settings to pick up a host in a more even manner.
> host_subset_size (increase the size)
> shuffle_best_same_weighed_hosts (enable the shuffle)
>
> https://docs.openstack.org/nova/latest/configuration/config.html

yes the weighers are what will blance between the hosts and the filters determin which host are valid
so if you want to spread based on ram then you need to adject the
https://docs.openstack.org/nova/latest/configuration/config.html#filter_scheduler.ram_weight_multiplier

for example set ram_weight_multiplier=10.0 to make it relitivly more important.
the way the weigher work is all wheigher calulate the weight for a host,
we then add them after multiplying them by the weights and then sort.