[devstack][openstack-qa] DevStack upgrade betweem major releases

Ghanshyam Mann gmann at ghanshyammann.com
Sun Feb 27 17:25:14 UTC 2022

 ---- On Sat, 26 Feb 2022 18:22:09 -0600 Bernd Bausch <berndbausch at gmail.com> wrote ----
 > From the documentation:
 > It is used interactively as a development environment and as the basis for much of the OpenStack project’s functional testing.
 > "Development environment" means an environment for developing OpenStack software, not for running VMs that are used for generic development. It's purpose is to be set up quickly and destroyed after you are done with your development or test. Devstack can't even be rebooted out of the box; I can't imagine that there is a procedure to upgrade Devstack.
 > Perhaps the documentation page should make it clear that it must not be used as a platform for business-critical tasks.
 >
 > Bernd
 > On Feb 27, 2022, at 8:31, Eduardo Santos <eduardo.experimental at gmail.com> wrote:
 >
 > Hello folks,
 > What is the procedure for upgrading a DevSack deployment from one major release to another? I didn't find any information on this in the official documentation. [1]
 > My team maintains DevStack deployments used to provision virtual machines to developers. How can we, let's say, upgrade a stable/xena DevStack to stable/yoga, when it's released?

Yes, there is no upgrade procedure for DevStack. And yes, it is intended to be used for OpenStack testing as mentioned in
doc also.

I am not 100% sure about your usage of DevStack for developers if that is for their development env for any other software or
OpenStack dev/testing. But in any case, If you want to move to the latest version of DevStack, the best way is to clone the latest
(or specific release) source code and install it as fresh. If you try to update the existing devstack to the latest release code and run ./stach.sh
again, it is no guarantee that it will work.

If you want to create the permanent dev env for the developer, I will suggest you try some other deployment project like Kolla, OSA etc.

-gmann