[release] Release countdown for week R-6, Feb 14-18

Előd Illés elod.illes at est.tech
Fri Feb 11 15:34:04 UTC 2022

Development Focus
-----------------

Work on libraries should be wrapping up, in preparation for the various
library-related deadlines coming up. Now is a good time to make decisions
on deferring feature work to the next development cycle in order to be
able to focus on finishing already-started feature work.

General Information
-------------------

We are now getting close to the end of the cycle, and will be gradually
freezing feature work on the various deliverables that make up the
OpenStack release.

This coming week is the deadline for general libraries (except client
libraries): their last feature release needs to happen before "Non-client
library freeze" on February 17th, 2022. Only bugfixes releases will be
allowed
beyond this point.

When requesting those library releases, you can also include the
stable/yogabranching request with the review (as an example, see the
"branches" section here:
https://opendev.org/openstack/releases/src/branch/master/deliverables/pike/os-brick.yaml#n2

In the next weeks we will have deadlines for:

* Client libraries (think python-*client libraries), which need to have
their last feature release before "Client library freeze" (February
24th, 2022)

* Deliverables following a cycle-with-rc model (that would be most
services), which observe a Feature freeze on that same date, February
24th, 2022.
Any feature addition beyond that date should be discussed on the
mailing-list and get PTL approval.

As we are getting to the point of creating stable/yogabranches, this
would be a good point for teams to review membership in their
$project-stable-maint groups. Once the stable/yogabranches are cut
for a repo, the ability to approve any necessary backports into those
branches for Yogawill be limited to the members of that stable team.
If there are any questions about stable policy or stable team membership,
please reach out in the #openstack-stable channel.

Upcoming Deadlines & Dates

Non-client library freeze: February 17th, 2022(R-6 week)
Client library freeze: February 24th, 2022(R-5 week)
Yoga-3 milestone: February 24th, 2022(R-5 week)
Cycle Highlights Due: February 24th, 2022(R-5 week)
Yogafinal release: March 30th, 2022
Next PTG: April 4 - 8, 2022 (virtual)

ElődIllés
irc: elodilles