Home openstack lab

Sean Mooney smooney at redhat.com
Wed Feb 2 17:44:10 UTC 2022

On Wed, 2022-02-02 at 17:07 +0000, Michael STFC wrote:
> Hi All:
>
> I am kind of new to Openstack and want to setup openstack learning env or lab at home.
>
> I have 3 HP MicroServers g8 with 16GB RAM and 5 HP MicroServers g7 with 8 GB RAM - all have dual or quad NIC and I have a 24 ports Aruba switch with VXLAN feature, older HP Procurve 24 switch.
>
> I am looking into have 3 nodes for run services and 2 for compute and remaining 3 for Ceph.
>
> Any advise on OS and which openstack distro I should and link to the documentations or guides?
most common distros have good support for openstack at this point.
there are several installers to choose form personally kolla-ansible is my prefered install openstack ansible might also be good for your scale
but i have not used it much. triploe is proably overkill and i would not advise using it as your first into to openstack

so assuming you are not going to use this for developing openstack kolla-ansible on debian or ubuntu with the source install option would be
my recommendation it has pretty good support for centos too but i belive they are moveing to mainly using debain images for the contianers
going forward so using a deb based host might have less issues

openstack ansibale i belive also supports both the rpm and deb worlds so really you can pick your poision with regard to
host OS. i would go with what you are most comforatbale with but ubuntu 20.04 is what most of our upstream ci uses

if you are plannig t do developemnt i would use devstack but if you want this as a home lab to then run workload on i would use somethig else.

for ceph cephadm is proably the way to go and you should be able to integrate a standalone ceph cluster with this deployment.
kolla support external ceph and i suspect openstack ansible does too.

one thing to note is i proably woudl proably also run the nova compute serive on the contolers to get the most out of the cluster.

even with only 8gb of ram you can run a full contoler and have 1-2 GB of ram left over for vms
so unless you decide to have the contoler also run ceph i would co locate the compute service on the contoler too

if you do plan to have ceph and the openstack contolers coloacated then i would reuse the 3 nodes you planned ot dedicated fro ceph as computes.

you certenly can have each system have a singel role but you can consolidate into a hyperconverd toplogy too.