[nova] Isolating scheduler

Dominik Danelski ddanelski at cloudferro.com
Fri Dec 23 10:11:47 UTC 2022

Hello,

I'd like to create and test some new filters and weights for the
scheduler. Ideally, I would mimic an existing OpenStack deployment I
have access to.

I already installed placement component, to which the scheduler would
connect and now I'd like to isolate it. I'm not sure how to approach it,
as scheduler is part of Nova and not a stand-alone component as
placement. My intention is to initially fill placement's database with
information about the infrastructure, set up the scheduler and then
query it for consecutive requests (linear, no need for locks if that
changes anything) to log the decisions it would make with modified
weights/filters and the state of the system in-between requests.

What is, in your opinion, the best way to detach the scheduler as much
as possible from the rest of Nova, in order to test it under
configuration most resembling the real-world setup? Should I use the
test framework and mimic how it is set up for the unit tests or is there
a better way to go?

Thank you for your time.

Regards

Dominik Danelski