[designate] New project: designate-tlds

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Thu Dec 15 10:24:33 UTC 2022

Hi,

We wrote this:
https://salsa.debian.org/openstack-team/services/designate-tlds

The interesting code bits are in:
https://salsa.debian.org/openstack-team/services/designate-tlds/-/blob/debian/zed/designate_tlds/tlds.py

What it does is download the TLD list from
https://publicsuffix.org/list/public_suffix_list.dat using requests
(with an optional proxy), compare it to the list of TLDs in Designate,
and fix the difference.

It's by default setup in a cron every week. Basically, it's just apt-get
install designate-tlds, configure keystone_authtoken in
/etc/designate-tlds/designate-tlds.conf and set dry_run=false, and
you're done! Note I also wrote a patch for puppet-designate [1] to
support it.

Moving forward I see 2 solutions:
1- we continue to maintain this separately from Designate
2- our code gets integrated into Designate itself.

Designate team: are you interested for option 2?

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)

[1]
https://salsa.debian.org/openstack-team/puppet/puppet-module-designate/-/blob/debian/zed/debian/patches/add_designate_tlds_config.patch