[designate] Implemeting PTR record restrictions

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Thu Dec 15 10:18:53 UTC 2022

Hi,

We implemented this scenario for our public cloud:
https://docs.openstack.org/neutron/latest/admin/config-dns-int-ext-serv.html#use-case-3b-the-dns-domain-ports-extension

This is currently in production in beta-mode at Infomaniak's public cloud.

We did that, because we want our customers to be able to set any domain
name or PTR for the IPs they own.

However, we discovered that there's no restriction on what zone
customers can set. For example, if customer A owns the IP 203.0.113.9,
customer B can do "openstack zone create 9.113.0.203.in-addr.arpa.",
preventing customer A to set their PTR record.

Is there currently a way to fix this? Or maybe a spec to implement the
correct restrictions? What is the way to fix this problem in a public
cloud env?

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)