[dev][infra][qa][tact-sig] Tox 4.0.0 breaking changes

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Thu Dec 8 22:09:05 UTC 2022

On 2022-12-08 13:56:45 -0800 (-0800), Ghanshyam Mann wrote:
[...]
> I am debugging that bug but here I am asking something else here. My
> question is about different tox versions installed in the same type
> of jobs with devstack same scripts. Tox 4 is installed in the stable branch
> and master focal job and Tox 3 in the rest of the master jobs.
>
> I am trying to understand why ensure-tox capping tox seems capping
> it for master jobs but not for stable branch jobs (no change int the
> Devstack scripts in master vs stable?

The jobs you're talking about don't seem to use the ensure-tox role
at all, so maybe that's where your confusion is arising? It's mostly
used by jobs based (usually indirectly) on the "tox" parent job from
zuul-jobs, so mostly unit tests and linters.

> The only difference I see here is focal jobs (stable branch jobs
> or focal job on master) using latest tox.

I think you're either misunderstanding how those scripts work, or
how Python packaging and pip work. If constraints lists are being
supplied when the lib/tempest script installs its own copy of tox,
then those can end up influencing which version of tox is installed
even if tox is not in the constraints list (because current pip will
try to satisfy constrained dependencies and limit available tox
versions to those which work with any of its dependencies which have
been constrained). If stable branches are forcing different versions
of pip, that can also influence which versions of tox might end up
installed, since older pip lacks a sane dependency solver and is
just sort of "yolo" about the whole idea. There are lots of
variables which can come into play.
--
Jeremy Stanley