[Nova] Can't Attach An Encrypted NFS (luksv1) Volume

Sofia Enriquez senrique at redhat.com
Fri Aug 26 16:14:34 UTC 2022

Hello Nova Team,

eharney and I are working on NFS encrypted volume support [1] and [2].

I'm trying to attach an encrypted volume to a nova instance. However, this
fails with "libvirt.libvirtError: internal error: unable to execute QEMU
command 'blockdev-add': Image is not in qcow2 format" error. I'm using a
Devstack environment (nova/cinder master branch).
Last week I opened a bug report [3] and I'd like to raise some attention to
it.
I've proposed a WIP patch [4] with a possible solution that I'd like to get
some feedback on or know if should follow a different approach.

The problem is that is_luks() returns false for the NFS case, because NFS
is using LUKS inside of qcow2 and not regular LUKS.

Let me know what you think
Thank you
Sofia

[1] https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/cinder/+/597148