Which deployment Method for a production cloud ?

Sean Mooney smooney at redhat.com
Thu Aug 18 10:50:49 UTC 2022

On Thu, 2022-08-18 at 15:19 +0530, KK CHN wrote:
> List,
>
> I want to install   Openstack Xena version on a DELL ( R650  2 CPU and 40
> cores . 2.4 TB) server machine.  Operating System preference is Debian 10.
>  I want to deploy this for production use with Ceph OSDs.
>

> There are four methods described in the URL  : Confused which to select.
>
> https://docs.openstack.org/xena/deploy/
>
> 1. Using  Charms deployment
i think this mainly targets ubuntu not debian
> 2. Deploy openstack using Ansible in Docker containers
> 3. Openstack - Ansible Deployment guide.
for both of the above i would suggest looking at kolla-ansible or openstack ansible (OSA)
my personal prefernce between the two is kolla but both are production ready deploymnets with good
upgrade support and fast release cadnace following a new upstream release.
both support debian as far as im aware too.
> 4.  Triple O deployment guide
if you want to use debian triplo is not an option

there is aly the option of the debian openstack installer.
zingo can tell you more about that.
i have not personlly used it but i hear good things about it
i belive its based on puppet which is not really my preference im much more partial to ansible based installers
but if debian 10 is what you are targeting its proably a good option to consider.
https://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-discuss/2022-August/029910.html
there was an anounchment about deabin lts/10 exteding there lts supprot for rocky recently so its well maintianed long term.

kolla is still my preference but that is more as a developer and home user for its simplicity and feature set.
OSA or the Debian installer might suite you bettter depending on your usecase.

in general i would recommend using an existing installer for openstack vs creating your own or using
the puppet/ansible moduels to build your own. long term if you use an excisting installer you will benifit
form the maintaince and skill set of the comunity that maintain it.

> Which method do I have to follow  a full fledged  production deployment ?
most installers provide fully ha production ready deployments.
i would recomend mangain ceph externally via cephadm regardless of how you deploy openstack.

> why ?
>
> Going  ahead with Ansible and Docker is a  best option or not ?
that is what kolla does i think its a solid option for many usecases
if you dont like docker or down want contaienrs you dont have to use them to deploy openstack