[openstack] how to speed up live migration?

Felix Hüttner felix.huettner at mail.schwarz
Wed Aug 3 10:55:07 UTC 2022

Hi Ignazio,

Is it the actual live-migration that takes long (e.g. the libvirt migration you can watch with “virsh domjobinfo <instance>”) or the whole live-migration process as observed by nova.

We have seen it a few times that the thing that actually takes long is plugging the neutron port on the target hypervisor (although I think this only applies to ml2-ovs). For us this seems to happen because the neutron-openvswitch-agent can take some time to assemble the firewall rules for the security group of the port (especially if you use large remote security groups).
This would also explain why migrating back is fast, because the neutron-openvswitch-agent on the source will have the information cached.

Alternatively you could have multiple live-migrations queued for the same source hypervisor, but nova only handles them one-by-one (unless you set max_concurrent_live_migrations).

--
Felix Huettner