[openstack] how to speed up live migration?

Ignazio Cassano ignaziocassano at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 10:27:47 UTC 2022

Hello All,
I am looking for a solution to speed up live migration.
Instances where ram is used heavily like java application servers, live
migration take a long time (more than 20 minutes for 8GB ram instance) and
converge mode is already set to True in nova.conf.
I also tried with post_copy but it does not change.
After the first live migration (very solow) if I try to migrate again it is
very fast.
I presume the first migration is slow because memory fragmentation when an
instance is running on the same compute node for a long time.
I am looking for a solution considering the on my computing node I can have
a little ram overcommit. Any case I am increasing the number of compute
nodes to reduce it.
Thanks
Ignazio