[DIB][diskimage-builder] Rocky Linux image build method

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Mon Aug 1 11:39:35 UTC 2022

On 2022-08-01 10:21:18 +0200 (+0200), Pierre Riteau wrote:
> I am curious about the choice of providing only a rocky-container element
> in DIB, which works differently to the centos element, which uses cloud
> images.
>
> It makes it hard to produce working images for VMs or bare metal, as
> various packages that would normally be installed are missing, such as
> cloud-utils-growpart or openssh-server. See the kickstarts for reference
> [1] [2].
>
> It seems to also occasionally cause complex failures such as the one that
> rendered Rocky Linux 8 images unbootable last week [3]. I am guessing this
> wouldn't have happened had the build been from a cloud image.
>
> Would the DIB community be open to also have a rocky element using
> GenericCloud images, like centos?
[...]

At least for images we're booting in OpenDev, we've been gradually
switching them over to the containerfile mechanism for the specific
reason that it's increasingly hard to guarantee random distros'
package bootstrapping tools can all be made to work outside a chroot
on a single common/foreign distro, and we don't want "fat" images
preinstalled with a lot of unnecessary packages (and certainly not
with things like cloud-init).

For CentOS image building, we're still relying on the centos-minimal
element, because we're able to install a working release of yum
outside the image on the builder, but there have been times where
some distros tools were simply not available for installation or
required too new (or too old) system libraries to be able to run.
--
Jeremy Stanley