[all][tc] Release cadence terminology (Was: Change OpenStack release naming...)

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Fri Apr 29 18:46:51 UTC 2022

On 2022-04-29 17:43:25 +0200 (+0200), Marcin Juszkiewicz wrote:
[...]
> Also suggestion: drop tick/tock from naming documentation please.
> I never remember which is major and which is minor.

This is a good point. From an internationalization perspective, the
choice of wording could be especially confusing as it's an analogy
for English onomatopoeia related to mechanical clocks. I doubt it
would translate well (if at all).

In retrospect, adjusting the terminology to make 2023.1 the
"primary" release of 2023, with 2023.2 as the "secondary" release of
that year, makes it a bit more clear as to their relationship to one
another. We can say that consumers are able to upgrade directly from
one primary release to another, skipping secondary releases.
--
Jeremy Stanley