[all] Mailman recipients limit (was: Resend New CFN...)

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Wed Apr 27 17:02:38 UTC 2022

On 2022-04-27 11:51:05 -0500 (-0500), Ghanshyam Mann wrote:
[...]
> Well, that is what I raised concern in tc channel when my reply
> went to approval first. It could make these kind of async while
> replying and seeing other reply depends on when your email is
> approved by moderator. We cannot expcet moderator will keep eyes
> on every min for this ML thread.
>
> I still stand on my proposal to relax this 'more recipients ' rule
> at least making recipients number threshold to 20 or so. That will
> definitely benefit the new thread from new people.
>
> The Current rule is causing more issues then its benefits, at
> least with current limit of recipients numbers.

I already approve numerous messages out of the moderation queue for
this list every day for other reasons (and discard orders of
magnitude more caught spam), so the recipients limit check is not
increasing my workload as a list moderator. If people generally feel
that having extra recipients besides the list address is acceptable,
then I would just remove the check rather than raising it (10
recipients is already a lot).

What *will* increase my workload is manually replying to people
every time I see a massive recipient count in a list message in
order to refer them to the
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/MailingListEtiquette#Keep_Discussions_On-List
section of our netiquette guidelines. Right now the automated check
provides a signal without any additional work on my part.
--
Jeremy Stanley