Nova support for multiple vGPUs?

Sylvain Bauza sbauza at redhat.com
Thu Apr 21 10:25:18 UTC 2022

Le mer. 20 avr. 2022 à 18:47, Sigurd Kristian Brinch <sigurd.k.brinch at uia.no>
a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> As far as I can tell, libvirt/KVM supports multiple vGPUs per VM
>
> (
> https://docs.nvidia.com/grid/14.0/grid-vgpu-release-notes-generic-linux-kvm/index.html#multiple-vgpu-support),
>

> but in OpenStack/Nova it is limited to one vGPU per VM
>
> (
> https://docs.openstack.org/nova/latest/admin/virtual-gpu.html#configure-a-flavor-controller
> )
>
> Is there a reason for this limit?
>
> What would be needed to enable multiple vGPUs in Nova?

If you look at the vGPU types that are supported for multiple vGPUs per VM,
those are only the ones who associate the whole GPU to one single vGPU (eg.
A100-40C for the A100 40GB PCIe card)...
You can try to ask for more vGPUs per instance if you want, but unless you
use the above types (which are just kind of passthrough), you'll get the
libvirt exception that's provided in
https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1758086 )

This is then not a Nova limitation, but we tried to document in our
upstream docs to let operators know about such limitation.
-Sylvain