Question on monkey-patching paramiko for FIPS

Rajat Dhasmana rdhasman at redhat.com
Thu Apr 21 05:04:06 UTC 2022

Hi Ade,

We discussed this at our cinder meeting yesterday[1].
We do have occurrences of paramiko in our code[2] but they are mostly in
our driver code where we are not testing compliance with FIPS.
Currently, most of our third party CIs runs on Ubuntu and AFAIR, FIPS only
works on CentOS so we can think about this when we start supporting FIPS
for Ubuntu (as also discussed in Cinder PTG[3]).
For the core cinder code, we don't have any usage of paramiko and the
current jobs proposed[4] doesn't deal with third party drivers that are
using paramiko.
In conclusion, the FIPS compliance looks good from the Cinder side and we
are planning to add documentation for new drivers about FIPS compliance so
they're aware about it.

[1]
https://meetings.opendev.org/meetings/cinder/2022/cinder.2022-04-20-14.00.log.html#l-44
[2] https://github.com/openstack/cinder/search?q=paramiko