[neutron] exposing ip address of external Network from within the virtual machine

Eugen Block eblock at nde.ag
Thu Apr 7 08:16:52 UTC 2022

Hi,

> I want to expose the and Ip from the external network inside the vm
> instance , but when I try to directly attach an interface from the
> external network to the instance, I don't get and Ip address inside the
> instance, and even if I assign it manually it still doesn't work, I can't
> use enable DHCP with public network because it already has its own external
> dhcp server.

when you assign the IP manually, does it match what neutron shows for
that port? To get an IP from an external network without DHCP you can
use config drive during instance creation, cloud-init is required for
that. Or if the instance already exists you can create a port with the
fixed IP and assign that port to the instance. Then you still need to
configure the IP within the instance, but then it should work.

Regards,
Eugen