Support to allow only boot from cinder volumes

Laurent Dumont laurentfdumont at gmail.com
Sun Apr 3 10:46:30 UTC 2022

Got it!

By quota, do you mean reserved_host_disk_mb in nova.conf? I could make the
/var/lib/nova/instances RO but I am not sure how that would impact config
drive that are created locally (since I dont have ceph)

Just to be clear on the behavior, this means that boot-from-image requests
would fail?

Looking at nova.conf, I can disable the number of local-disks supported,
but this doesn't act as a behavior change when the requests are made.

I assume, from what I now know, that there is no mechanism to
default/transform a request to BFV.

# A negative number means unlimited. Setting max_local_block_devices#
to 0 means that any request that attempts to create a local disk# will
fail. This option is meant to limit the number of local discs# (so
root local disc that is the result of --image being used, and# any
other ephemeral and swap disks). 0 does not mean that images# will be
automatically converted to volumes and boot instances from# volumes -
it just means that all requests that attempt to create a# local disk
will fail.## Possible values:## * 0: Creating a local disk is not
allowed.# * Negative number: Allows unlimited number of local discs.#
* Positive number: Allows only these many number of local discs.#
                  (Default value is 3).#  (integer
value)#max_local_block_devices = 3