Support to allow only boot from cinder volumes

Laurent Dumont laurentfdumont at gmail.com
Sat Apr 2 13:58:01 UTC 2022

Hey folks,

I am trying to see if there are any ways to instruct Openstack to prevent
the usage of local storage/ephemeral disks.

There are cases where :

   - I don't want the added complexity of Ceph.
   - I don't want the added hassle of using local volumes/nfs/shared
   storage on the computes directly.

In an ideal world, creating a VM would mean that you always have a
boot-from-volume with the volume being in your chosen backend.

I've seen this spec :
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/flavor-root-disk-none

But it doesn't seem to have survived the Ocata cycle.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!