[all][tc] What's happening in Technical Committee: summary 24th Sept, 21: Reading: 5 min

Ghanshyam Mann gmann at ghanshyammann.com
Fri Sep 24 19:55:29 UTC 2021

Hello Everyone,

Here is this week's summary of the Technical Committee activities.

1. TC Meetings:
============
* TC this week IRC meeting held on Sept 23rd Thursday.

* Most of the meeting discussions are summarized in the below sections (Completed or in-progress activities
section). To know more details, you can check the complete logs @
https://meetings.opendev.org/meetings/tc/2021/tc.2021-09-23-15.00.log.html

* We will have next week's meeting on Sept 30th, Thursday 15:00 UTC on IRC, feel free the topic
in agenda [1] by Sept 29th.

2. What we completed this week:
=========================
* Moved Cloud Research SIG to active state[2]

3. Activities In progress:
==================
TC Tracker for Xena cycle
------------------------------
* TC is using the etherpad[3] for Xena cycle working item. We will be checking and updating
the status biweekly on the same etherpad.
* Current status is: 7 completed, 6 in-progress

Open Reviews
-----------------
* Five open reviews for ongoing activities[4].

Add project health check tool
-----------------------------------
* We are automating the project health checks. Currently, every TC member is assigned a number
of projects to keep checking the project health/ listening to their issues but this is not so successful so far.

* Rico has proposed the code[5] to collect the contribution stats and we are in the process of documenting
the usage and interpretation of those stats.

Stable Core team process change
---------------------------------------
* As discussed in Shanghai and Xena PTG, there are some concerns over the current stable core
team process (especially now when there are very few global stable team members) and to improve
the process, mnaser has proposed the draft resolution[6] . Feel free to provide early feedback if you
have any.

Removing stable release 'Unmaintained' phase
* 'Unmaintained' phase in the stable release process has been confusing than adding any value.
* Elod has proposed the removal of the 'unmaintained' phase[7], feel free to reply if any objection
otherwise we will merge the patch on Monday(27th Sept).

Places for projects to spreading the word
* Amy has started to list down all the places that projects can use to spread the word out about
your project which will help to get additional contributors and users[8]. She also sent emails to PTLs.

* Please make note of it and use such places/blogs to highlights/educate operators/users/community etc.

TC tags analysis
-------------------
* As discussed in the last PTG, TC is working on an analysis of the usefulness of the Tags
framework[9] or what all tags can be cleaned up.

* We are still waiting for the operator's response to the email on openstack-disscuss ML[10].
If you are an operator, please respond to the email and based on the feedback we will continue
the discussion in PTG.

Project updates
-------------------
* Add the cinder-netapp charm to Openstack charms[11]
* Retiring js-openstack-lib [12]
* Retire puppet-freezer[13]

Yoga release community-wide goal
* Please add the possible candidates in this etherpad [14].
* Current status: "Secure RBAC" is selected for Yoga cycle[15].

PTG planning
----------------
* We are collecting the PTG topics in etherpad[16], feel free to add any topic you would like to discuss.
* We discussed the live stream of one of the TC PTG sessions like we did last time. Once we will have more
topics in etherpad then we can select the appropriate one.

Test support for TLS default:
----------------------------------
* Rico has started a separate email thread over testing with tls-proxy enabled[17], we encourage projects
to participate in that testing and help to enable the tls-proxy in gate testing.

4. How to contact the TC:
====================
If you would like to discuss or give feedback to TC, you can reach out to us in multiple ways:

1. Email: you can send the email with tag [tc] on openstack-discuss ML[18].
2. Weekly meeting: The Technical Committee conduct a weekly meeting every Thursday 15 UTC [19]
3. Office hours: The Technical Committee offers a weekly office hour every Tuesday at 0100 UTC [20]
4. Ping us using 'tc-members' nickname on #openstack-tc IRC channel.

[1] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Meetings/TechnicalCommittee#Next_Meeting
[2] https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/governance-sigs/+/809887
[3] https://etherpad.opendev.org/p/tc-xena-tracker
[4] https://review.opendev.org/q/projects:openstack/governance+status:open