Neutron

Slawek Kaplonski skaplons at redhat.com
Thu Sep 16 07:46:49 UTC 2021

Hi,

On środa, 15 września 2021 07:19:20 CEST Zeeshan Haider wrote:
> **Scenario**:
> We are trying to develop our Virtual Network using `Open Virtual Network`
> or `OVN`, We need our Virtual Network Switches running firstly on the root
> Virtual Router, and there are some other Virtual Switches as well. I was
> Working on the `openvswitch` and `OVN` but a lot of things are missing for
> me, and there are some unlinked dots between the deployment itself and
> there are some problems. My Question has 3 further Parts.
>
>  1. Is it possible at all to use `Neutron` as our Network Manager without
> OpenStack cloud installation?

Yes, it's possible as Akihiro already explained. The one thing You need to
remember is that if You want ports to be provisioned by neutron they should be
plugged into br-int bridge on the node. In the way as e.g. Nova (os-vif) is
doing that actually.

>  2. Is it a good approach?

TBH I don't know. In theory it should works but in u/s Neutron we are not
testing such use case at all so I can't tell You what bugs You may hit with
that approach.

>  3. if not then are there any cookbooks available for `OVN`, I am not
> talking about man-pages.
>
> Any help would be highly appreciated.
>
> P.S. I am thinking about this because OVN got merged with Neutron, and it
> could be one of the possibilities.

To be strict OVN is separate project which comes from the Openvswitch
originally and it wasn't never merged with Neutron. Neutron have only
mechanism driver which allows using OVN as a backend. That driver was recently
merged to be one of the "in-tree" mechanism drivers in Neutron.

--
Slawek Kaplonski
Principal Software Engineer