[all][tc] Minium python version for yoga and centos 9 stream.

Ghanshyam Mann gmann at ghanshyammann.com
Tue Sep 7 15:38:12 UTC 2021

 ---- On Tue, 07 Sep 2021 06:07:55 -0500 Sean Mooney <smooney at redhat.com> wrote ----
 > resending to correct list
 > On Tue, 2021-09-07 at 10:51 +0100, Sean Mooney wrote:
 > > hi i was jsut looking at the yoga runtimes an notice that we have not really updated it
 > > with regards to minium python versions.
 > >
 > > currently
 > >
 > > the runtime defintion is as follows https://github.com/openstack/governance/blob/master/reference/runtimes/yoga.rst
 > >
 > >    It is the :doc:`policy <../../resolutions/20181024-python-update-process>` that each OpenStack release cycle will target the latest available version of Python; default Python runtimes on the
 > >    distributions listed above; and versions used in integration tests at the start of the cycle, at least until the point when all projects have migrated to a later version.
 > >
 > >    Based on the criteria above, all Python-based projects must target and test against, at a minimum:
 > >
 > >        Python 3.6 (default in CentOS 8 Stream)
 > >        Python 3.8 (latest available; default in Ubuntu 20.04)
 > >
 > > looking at to look at https://repology.org/project/python/versions what python version are shpping by default now in many distro
 > > more and more of them are moving to python 3.9 which is currently not in the test list and wer are starting to fall quite far behind
 > >
 > > debian 11/12/stable are currently using 3.9.2
 > > centos 8 defaults to 3.6.8 but ships     3.8.6 and 3.9.2 as appstreams
 > > centos 9 stream will default to  python3-3.9.6-6.el9.x86_64.rpm  https://composes.stream.centos.org/test/latest-CentOS-Stream/compose/BaseOS/x86_64/os/Packages/
 > > ubuntu 20.04 default to 3.8.2 but also ships 3.9.5 in universe
 > > ubuntu 21.04 default to 3.9.5 so we can expect that when yoga ships on ubuntu 22.04 it will be based on at least python 3.9 and proably 3.10
 > > fedora well they basically ship everythin but i belive 3.9 is not the default based on complaints some of my fellow contiutors had with
 > > runnign unit and functional tests.
 > >
 > > openSUSE Leap 15.3 main/oss     python39     3.9.4 ship 3.9 but default to 3.6
 > > they aslo nolonger have an openstack product but it would still be nice to keep them in mind.

Definitely we can move to 3.9 as official testing runtime if any of the currently supporting distro support it as default.

openSuse distro is not supported anymore due to no/less volunteer to maintain it. centos9 or Ubuntu 22.04 LTS is not yet
released so we have not picked them yet but that is something we discussed during the review of defining Yoga testing
runtime. If any of these distro is released before Yoga development cycle we can propose a update to the current testing runtime
- https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/governance/+/799927/1/reference/runtimes/yoga.rst#9

Also one thing to make a note here, py3.9 is being tested as non-voting in all the project unit tests and hopefully projects
has made it green. There is no restriction to run unit or functional tests on py3.9 as voting testing. Testing runtime is just
a minimum testing we except projects to do and it can be extended at any distro/versions at project level.

-gmann